Allotment Committee Annual General Meeting draft minutes
The Minutes of Ravenfield Allotments Committee Meeting
6th January 2022
Minutes of the meeting of Ravenfield Allotments Committee, held on Thursday 6th January 2022, at 7:00pm in Ravenfield Parish Hall. Chaired by Darren Machen.
Chairman - Darren Machen.
Vice Chairman – Scott Brighton.
Janine Chamberlain -Treasurer.
Deborah Bowman – Secretary.
In attendance: Ravenfield Parish Councillors; Councillor Jay and Pearson
17 members of the public were present.
1. APOLOGIES – no apologies received.
2. WELCOME – The Chair opened the meeting by thanking all present for attending.
3. SITE ACCESS OVERVIEW:
Scott Brighton, Vice Chairman, offered an update on moves to gain site access:
- Discussions with Andy Lee, Green Spaces Manager at RMBC took place in December, to understand how much (foliage, brambles and tress) can be cut back to allow access. He was happy for us to cut back as far as is necessary to allow vehicular access to the site. The trees are not protected.
- Glynn Staves, Community Payback Practice Manager, has also been contacted with a view to organising up to x 3 weeks site clearance support. (A toilet and sheltered area would need to be provided for this to go ahead.)
- It was agreed that the priority is to ensure the access road is cleared and accessible to vehicles.
- Funding applications are ongoing: Ravenfield Parish Council has been approached regarding funds for security fencing, access road maintenance, and a tree surgeon, if needed. The committee should learn whether applications have been successful by mid-February.
4. SITE CLEARANCE:
- A discussion was held on how to manage clearance. A concerted effort will be needed to clear the site; this will be coordinated through WhatsApp, to allow for various dates and times, with the aim of undertaking some clearing work by the end of January / beginning of February.
- Access will also be dependent on gaining Public Liability Insurance through the National Allotment Society.
- A courtesy call will be made to the residents of the houses adjoining the site, before clearing commences. RMBC has confirmed that the wall adjoining Barbara’s house is owned by the council and the bushes can be cut back approximately 2 ft, to allow parking.
- The committee is approaching various companies, looking for donations to support the clearance effort. HippoWaste have donated a free HIPPOBAG and any green waste will be collected.
5. WAITING LIST:
- It was also discussed that those who have attended the two meetings would be given an allotment and a waiting list would be formed. As the allotment clearance gets underway and more plots become available, those on the list would be offered a plot.
6. PLOT SIZE:
- Plots to the right on entry, are manageable and would be a good starting point, in terms of allocating half-sized plots, initially. A form for attendees to state their interest in either half or full-sized plots was proposed by Darren Machen, Chairman. Attendees were given an opportunity, at the end to the meeting, to add their names to this form. Information will be collated for the next meeting.
7. TERMS OF REFERENCE:
Proposed by John Clerk
Seconded by Catherine Smith
8. BANK ACCOUNT:
- No finance information to report.
- Tenancy fee to be discussed and agreed later. National average annual fee ranges from £30-£150.
9. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING:
To be confirmed, via WhatsApp.
10. ITEMS FOR THE NEXT AGENDA:
- Update and progress of site clearance.
- Funding developments
- Indemnity insurance
- Tenancy fee
- Legacy account of the development of Ravenfield Allotments – to include timeline/photographs etc.
- Mention of contacting Kath Evans who organises Ravenfield litter picking, with a view to asking for support clearing the site.
- Risk assessment form to be evaluated for group site clearance.
- Suggestion of contacting Doncaster Aggregates for possible donation of hardcore for the access road: https://decorativeaggregates.com
12. CLOSURE OF THE MEETING:
The meeting closed at 7:45pm